Saturday, July 23, 2011

What's in a name?

How did Amelia Margaret get her name?  Well, for those who know me well or are in the Olthoff family, the answer is easy - Margaret Amelia Olthoff, my grandmother!

Amelia should feel very honored to be named after such an important person in my family.  My Grandma Olthoff raised me for almost 13 years and was the woman who cared for me like I was her own daughter.  She was the single, best influence in my life (a close second would be my Aunt Lorraine) and I know would have loved to meet little Amelia. 

Her Aunt Mara also pointed out that her name is German (a plus) and that  the meaning is "one who is industrious, striving and hardworking"...sure to suit any daughter of ours!  Thanks Mara!

So, what's in a name?  To me -  a lot of memories, a warm and fuzzy feeling, honor, and respect.  I love that when Amelia is able to ask me about her name, it will give me an opportunity to tell her all about her Great Grandma Olthoff (and probably not without shedding a few tears).


No comments:

Post a Comment