Thursday, October 6, 2011
Grandma Olthoff
You may have noticed that there haven't been too many posts about my mom on here so far. She has yet to meet Amelia because of her health problems. I wanted to put a note about only her on here for a few reasons:
1) I want Amelia to know how much her Grandma Olthoff loves her and even though she hasn't been able to visit yet, it's not because she doesn't want to.
2) Everybody else seem to have received a lot of "air time", while my mom has not.
3) She could really use all of the prayers and well wishes that she can get right now, her health is questionable and her pain/side effects are increasing.
My mom finished her chemotherapy for her colon cancer in late August. She was supposed to visit us over Labor Day and my birthday, but doctor visits and health concerns got in the way. Her radiation treatment was set to start one month after chemo ended, but a CT scan showed three new spots that are most likely cancerous. So, they started radiation ASAP, and that prolonged the next visit she had planned in mid-September. She is now in her fourth week of radiation and is quite depressed. As you can imagine, all of the treatment, doctor visits, tests, side effects, and pain are taking a toll on her, both physically and emotionally. My mom actually stopped going to radiation this week because she feels like she's had enough. She wants to visit Amelia and I and my Aunt Fe and her family in San Diego, then go back to the Philippines. She feels like she will never get better. I just hope that the radiation works and she won't have to go through another six months of chemotherapy. That would not be good.
I was able to convince her to return to radiation, but am still deeply worried about her. Hopefully she will be able to travel to Chicago in mid-October and Kevin and I have booked tickets to California for the week before Thanksgiving.
She has a lot to live for and a little granddaughter that can't wait to meet her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment